Monier de la Sizeranne Hermitage

Image 5-5-20 at 4.18 PM“Ripe and focused, with brightness to the plum, red currant and black cherry fruit that races through, lined with subtle alder, sanguine and iron hints. The tight-grained finish shows nice underlying tension. Best from 2022 through 2035.
James Molesworth

APPEARANCE: Deep garnet red, with purplish highlights

NOSE:: Red fruit (raspberry, blackcurrant), with a hint of licorice.

PALATE: Good attack, round and elegant wine with concentrated and gentle tannins. The final is on blackcurrant, raspberry and spicy (pepper) aromas when it is young

APPELLATION: Hermitage

VARIETAL: 100% Syrah

TERROIR: Comes from a blending of different soils from West to East: “les Bessards”: granitic origin, it constitutes the “soul” of a good Hermitage; “Le Méal”: old alluvial terraces with a lot of gravels and shingles; “Les Greffieux”: silty soil with shingles.

VINIFICATION: Hand-harvested at maturity. Entirely destemmed, the grapes ferment in concrete tanks. One to two daily treadings ensure a good extraction of the tannins. Temperature varies between 30 ° and 33° C (86 °-91 °F).

Alcohol: 14%

Aging: 18 months ageing, 85% of which takes place in oak barrels, giving the wine its notes of oak. The remaining 15% is aged in concrete tanks to preserve minerality and freshness. 

Suggested Pairings: Venison fillet in red wine sauce, roast beef, mature “Saint Félicien” cheese.