Chante Alouette Blanc Hermitage

Image 5-5-20 at 3.57 PMM. Chapoutier’s roots in the Rhône date back to 1808, when the family first settled in Tain l’Hermitage. The highly sought-after appellation of Hermitage is named after the tiny chapel at its highest point (once home to hermits). Most do not realize Hermitage is comprised of just a few hilltops with very dense terroir. 

Steep southerly facing terraces with unique microclimates drive rich complexity in the wines. In Hermitage, Marsanne is able to make some of the world’s top and most long-lived whites. Chante Alouette being considered one of the rare gems to come from the quintessential Hermitage appellation. 

APPEARANCE: Brilliant golden green

NOSE: Complex and subtle aromas of quince, walnut, honey, ginger and acacia with a hint of lime blossom.

PALATE: A powerful wine with a distinct finish of almond. Very elegant with good length. 

APPELLATION: Hermitage

VARIETAL: 100% Marsanne

TERROIR: The grapes producing this wine come from three different vineyards: “Le Méal,” with old fluvioglacial alluvial deposit soil with numerous shingles; “Les Murets,” with soils consisting of granitic arena and alluvial deposits; “Chante-Alouette,” set on loess soil with a fine layer of clay and limestone.

VINIFICATION: Hand harvesting at maturity. After a long pressing and light settling, the musts are obtained for fermentation. Part of the fermentation is carried out in stainless steel tanks and part in demi-muids. The lees arestirred up (bâtonnage) for the first 2-3 months adding texture to the wine.

Alcohol: 13.5%

Aging: 0-30% takes place in stainless steel vats. The remaining 60-70% is aged in demi-muids (600 liters) barrels, 10% of which are made of new wood and 90% of wood previously used for one to three wines.

Suggested Pairings:  Foie gras, crayfish, lobster, fish, poultry in creamy sauces, white meat, goat cheese, blue cheese, spicy dishes and curry.